I enjoy working with school groups and can tailor my visit to your subjects of interest. I’m based in Darwin, but am happy to give Skype talks or occasionally travel for blocks of talks in schools. Depending on the amount of time allocated, sessions can either be structured as an informative talk, or as an interactive workshop in which students actively participate in writing their own pieces.
For example, workshops may cover:
- Nona & Me – the writing process, blending fact and fiction
- the issues and political context of Nona & Me
- life in a remote community
- the NT Intervention
- the television scriptwriting process
- practical creative writing exercises
- script editing
- writing as a career
- community development.
- Robin Clarke, English teacher, Huntingtower Co-educational Day and Boarding School, feedback following a Skype talk 2015
“It was entertaining, it was inspiring…she told us the truth on how she thought and felt.”
“She spoke very comfortably – I felt like I could say or ask things.”
“I remember her talking about the Yolngu community because I actually listened.”
“I liked how you told us some stories and I really like it how you told us how you came to write the book.”
“…going through the process of being a scriptwriter…was a pretty interactive activity…”
- Year 10 Students at Palmerston Senior College, 2015
If you are interested in booking me to visit your school please contact the Booked Out Speakers Agency.